Airbrushing

Posted: Mar 5, 2011 by Madclaw in Labels: ,
1


…..At least as I know it.

I have been using an airbrush on and off since 1988 for various task. Back in the day it was making gnarly t-shirts and customizing skateboard decks. Today it is scale models and war-games miniatures. I have fielded a few odd questions here and there from friends who want to get started so I figured I would make a quick article to help with selecting a good starting airbrush.



GW’s spray gun
First, if all you want to do is base coat figs just grab GW’s spray gun and canned air and go nuts. I have one and use it to just that. Nothing else, just base coating, beyond that you'll need to move into a little more advanced airbrush.






You can pick-up a combo set from Harbor Freight that has a dual-action siphon feed airbrush and an airbrush compressor. It is a pretty basic set and for the price, under $100, you really can’t get started for less. You can learn pretty much all you basic technique with this package and keep yourself busy for a long time. The only upgrade I would suggest is replacing the moisture trap/regulator with an aftermarket one. You can do that for around $30.





If you find yourself at the point that you skills out grow the basic airbrush there are hundreds of options, but I am only covering what know. I tried allot of different airbrushes and the two most popular brands around are Iwata and Badger. I am not a big Iwata fan. I have used a couple knock-offs and a few high priced Iwata’s and really didn’t see much difference. The Iwata High-line H2100 I tested felt loose, almost exactly like my inexpensive Master G22. The difference was about $180, the H2100 goes for around $225 and the Master G22 is about $40. You make the call.

Iwata High-line H2100




Master G-22

I also used the Iwata Eclipse HP-BS ECL2500 and hated it. This PoS kept breaking down and need cleaned after every colour change. Iwata now has its own knockoff, the Iwata-NEO. It runs about $60 and isn’t bad, but still is loose feeling and prone to clogging.



Iwata-neo

Iwata Eclipse HP-BS ECL2500


Badger 150
 Badger, we need more Badgers! Sorry. I own three Badgers; a 150, a Soltar 2020 and a Renegade Velocity. I love them all. The 150 is a horse! I forgot to clean it on weekend and left it to out. I dropped it in thinner and left it for a couple of days. I came back resembled it and went back to work. It’s a horse!



Soltar 20/20

The Soltar 2020 is a fine, fine airbrush. It is almost too much for me. It is an almost geared more towards illustration than for general use. The amount of control and variation that the Soltar allows you makes it a great investment, but the MSR is $400. And no, I didn’t even come close to paying that.





Renegade Velocity

Finally, the Renegade Velocity, this is my main weapon of choice. I can go from hair-line lines to around a ¾” spray pattern. The Velocity a precision made tool that feels like it. It allows you to do a large variety of techniques and would be a great starter airbrush as well as a great airbrush for someone with advanced skills. Typical it sales for around $165, but can be purchased for less online.



 I hope this helps and if you have any question please leave them in the comments.





1 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    I do agree about the Master G22. For $40 it is a fine gun, but if i would have had to pay $180 i would have gone with the badger instead. I have used the badger in the past and it does what the Master can do, but it seams the feathering in the trigger on the badger isn't as sloppy.